Thursday, April 3, 2008

Three Beautiful Bells

I would say that this is Wordless Wednesday because I don't have anything to say about the three flowers. Does anyone know what they are? They look like an Allium and there are over 1000 species of Alliums. I photographed them in February here in Ft. Worth several years ago and didn't label them. Duh! They must be hardy. Even if I don't know the name, here is a photograph to enjoy, or not.

-------------------- Update --------------------

The mystery plant has been identified by Lisa Wagner, Director of Education for the South Carolina Botanical Garden. You can visit her blog, Natural Gardening, (click here). According to Lisa "the mystery plant is a charming old-fashioned early spring lily relative native to Europe -- Summer Snowflake (Leucojum aestivum). "It's a tough plant -- I first saw it at an old homesite, where it had persisted for many years. I actually just planted some in various places this spring, since I've always liked it. It flowers in late winter and early spring here (so its common name is a misnomer!)""

Additional information on this species is available at Missouri Plants (click here).
The parent page for Missouri Plants is (click here).

Thanks Lisa for solving the Mystery

Three of a Kind
Click to enlarge



Troy

9 comments:

Pappy said...

You would have to plant them, because they are the only Summer Snowflake you'll see in the vicinity of Fort Worth. :)

Stacey Olson said...

BEAUTIFUL photo, I am NOT an expert in flowers so I would have been NO help with the species.. but they are beautiful.. Thats how I name flowers. That one is pretty, That one smells good. I saw that one in an herb book and it looks like a poisonous one I saw in there. etc etc. LOL Thanks for sharing

brucesc said...

South Carolina to your rescue, I see. We have those all around in this area. We often call them snow drops even though we know that's wrong--snow drops don't have that pretty green dot. Beautiful photograph too.

AphotoAday said...

Those really ARE beautiful, and artistic too... Wonder if they know that somehow...

Anonymous said...

No doubt here, they are really three beautiful bells!

Duncan said...

A common garden escape over here too Troy, often seen around old settled areas. Always pleasant to see though, even though it's not a native!

Sandpiper (Lin) said...

How BEAUTIFUL!!! When we first moved into this house, these flowers were all over the side yard. Over the years, they seem to have disappeared.

Janet said...

We have these in our yard, transplanted from my mother-in-law's. My grandmother had them too, and we always called them snowbells.

Janet said...

Oops, we called them snowdrops not snowbells. Had bells on my mind
Here is the link to my photo in March.
http://selmaala.blogspot.com/2008/03/snowdrops.html