Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Monitor Brightness and Contrast

.
ABC Wednesday
M is for Monitor

Old-time bloggers and photographers can ignore this post. This post is for the photographer just getting into digital photography. If your printer prints exactly what is on the screen and it matches what you remember the scene looking like or what you want it to look like, read no further.

Adobe Gamma and Color

There are many excellent sites explaining Adobe gamma and color space. In the Control Panel (windows users) is a small program called Adobe Gamma. It will help you adjust your monitor. Do not worry if your gamma is different from the expected Windows or Mac values suggested. Adjust your brightness and contrast (and then tackle this if you are confidant).

Don’t make any adjustments to Gamma without reading up on the subject and fully understanding what it is about.

Brightness and Contrast should be adjusted first.

At the least, check the following chart which I copied from dvdesign.com to determine if your monitor brightness and contrast is properly adjusted. Secondly, look at the color purity and see if it is what you think it should be.

The main point is, the squares numbered 00, 05, …….95, 100 should all be distinct and a different density from its neighbor. You may have to reduce the light in the room to properly distinguish the differences. The difference between 95 and 100 is sometimes difficult to discern without a high end monitor.

The main reason for this post is so that we may all enjoy each other’s photographs and view them as the owner meant for us to see them. My e-mail is in my profile. Simple questions, I will be glad to answer. If you are happy with the way your machine is, “don’t touch that dial”.

Monitor Brightness and Contrast Chart (from dvdesign)
Maximize Browser Page (Click to see chart)


Blame this on Troy and not Martha

ABC Wednesday is found at Mrs. Nesbitt's Place here.

.

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh this is great especially the disclaimer!! Have a great Wednesday!

dot said...

Ok Troy! Martha would not have done such as this. lol
Interesting ABC post!

david mcmahon said...

Thanks for the great comment on my blog. My `M' post will auto-publish in 15 hours' time.

Judging by the subjects you cover here on this site, we have many interests in common.

Katney said...

Your M is enough to make me go cross-eyed with technology.

Kostas said...

Marvellous and the current ABC Wednesday post!
Congratulations!

Anonymous said...

I know mine isn't right, but I am afraid to change anything!

Pernille said...

Very creative M! Well done:)

Pappy said...

I thought this post was going to be on giant Lizards, their I.Q.s and how they differ from others of the spieces.

Juliana RW said...

great choice for M theme

Hope you have time visit my M Thanks

Michele said...

Hmm... interesting. My monitor is far from high end but hoping to change that one day. Interesting post.

The Rocky Mountain Retreat

Stacey Olson said...

Great post. I didn't even think about these being done without photos. This info will help out alot of people. Love the small almost unseen caption at the bottom. :-) I guess Troy gets the compliments also?

Anonymous said...

So now we know whom to blame!
Great post.

Rune Eide said...

Very important point - I dont't know how many times I have tried to match that - and failed.

A photographically very important M!

raf said...

Interesting post. I'll check it out, Travellers. Thank you. Great blog, I shall return. Thanks, too for stopping by and adding you kinds words. We have common threads in Texas and Alaska to share.

Andrea said...

I think this is the most unique "M" post I have seen today.

Liz Hinds said...

That is way too intelligent for me!

photowannabe said...

Boy, this is the most unusual M post I have seen today. I do love Martha's disclaimer. Good stuff.

Sharon said...

Great M post. Better you than me trying to figgure out things like that.

Unknown said...

For adjusting brightness and contrast of LCD monitor, I would recommend reading the following article:


> Adjusting brightness and contrast