Thursday, December 11, 2008

Clouds Resting

Sky Watch Friday

The clouds were resting on the mountaintops...

Alternate title:
'Exploring', But Not Over This Bridge!

We were 4-wheeling and exploring some old Alaskan mining roads high in the mountains when we encountered this old bridge missing most of its timbers. We were able to drive through the woods, ford the stream, and regain the road, hence bypassing the bridge. The stream was composed of glacier and snow melt and runoff from rain. It had been a steady drizzle all morning, and we weren't expecting nor concerned about flash floods. Also at this point, the valley walls were pretty steep, and it looked like the stream depth had never been more than a few feet deep.

Click on the photo to enlarge to full page width. You will have to scroll up and down to see the full photo. Most of the sky in this photo is resting on the ground and rushing down this icy cold stream. I was so anxious to get on up the road, I forgot to shoot to the left and right so that I could stitch together a panorama. Well, this was not the first time, nor would it be the last during this trip.

Clouds Resting

Where we forded the stream, it was about 40-50 feet wide and 18 inches deep. I put on my high top rubber boots and waded across checking for firmness of the stream bed and for holes. Then Martha drove across.

There were thousands of photos that we missed because we were so stunned by the view or the experience.
We are explorers at heart, naturalists by choice, and photographers when we remember to capture the moment.

Leave a comment and let us know if you like the view.


For other SWF posts,
see The SkyWatch site here.



PS: Martha is a lot better at capturing the moment, and reminding me to get the photo, than I am.
Troy and Martha


.

34 comments:

Rune Eide said...

I'm glad you caught this one! I imagine the panorama would have been a wonder.

Merisi said...

Well,
who would have thought that clouds need some rest too, every once in a while? Beautiful captured! :-)

Max-e said...

You really get around and get to see some interesting places. Nice shot and I suppose a great adventure as well. Have a great weekend

Dewdrop said...

A cloud resting! Awesome concept. I love the glacier fed falls. Amazingly beautiful, and stunningly green. Wow!

Louise said...

Nice, low sky. And the green is incredible.

I think I would have driven, too!

Guy D said...

That is a stunning shot, I love everythign about this pic.

Cheers!
Regina In Pictures

Photo Cache said...

I guess everyone needs rest every now and then. Love this capture.

imac said...

Well caught my friends.

Reader Wil said...

I certainly like the view and when I enlarged the photo, it was breath taking!

EG CameraGirl said...

Clever take on the Sky Watch theme. The mist is mist-erious!

Unknown said...

Awesome capture, Troy!

Tess Kincaid said...

It looks like the waterfall is coming right out of those clouds! Beautiful.

nina at Nature Remains. said...

Yes, a restful scene--very nice.

Roan said...

The colors are fantastic. The green compliments the low clouds. Beautiful shot.

Bob Johnson said...

Wow, great shot, love the term "Cloud Resting"

Unknown said...

Probably true. In some instances the best memories are from the photos not taken. It's a balancing act, and to much of the camera can get in the way.

Genie said...

Snapping what you are seeing should definitely be lowest on the priority list. You can miss so much while trying to capture one little part of the experience on film. I frequently don't take my camera just so I can experience something fully and without trying to catch it.

But I'm glad you take the time to catch so much!

Kim said...

So beautiful. It is amazing how much beauty one can capture with a camera.

Pat - Arkansas said...

The scene is magnificent and the photo does it justice. Thank you for sharing!

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Troy: Another neat capture from Alaska, what a dream trip.

Arija said...

I am so glad it was caution first and driving across after. Streams after rain can be very treacherous.
Glad you got through. You got a good picture anyway and I prefer you both to be safe.

Pappy said...

Great adventure. Reminds me of our jaunt in a 1972 Pontiac Grand Prix down the "old" Raton Pass in Raton, NM. Have a great weekend. Pappy

Kirstin said...

That is a beautiful picture.

Anonymous said...

Incredible place to be able to be out 4 wheeling.. Lucky you two

naturglede/Randi Lind said...

That was a beautiful photo with the mist over the water:)

Daryl said...

Lovely ... the fog, the falls .. the feelings

:-Daryl

Anonymous said...

I love the thought of 'clouds resting' ... and the photo is beautiful indeed.
Hugs and blessings,
storyteller

Gretchen said...

Absolutely gorgeous! Happy SWF!!

Stacey Olson said...

Troy and Martha, thanks as always for taking us on your journy with you.. looks a bit thick to find a path around the rickety bridge, but I am so glad you did..

Doug Taron said...

I like the sens of pensive moodiness in the picture. I definitely resonate with the notion of being a photographer when I remember to.

Unknown said...

Troy & Martha : This is a mind blowing landscape shot. WOW...WOW...what a shot. Thomas

Jo's-D-Eyes said...

wonderfull clouds-resting Troy and Martha!

Are you sure they didn;t travel to Holland instead? Because I saw clouds like yours here in Holland on Sunday/Yesterday, see my blog.

Bye happe week wiskhes from JoAnn,
www.joannwalraven.blogspot.com

Kathie Brown said...

Troy, such beauty. It is like a place where dreams are born and die, or where prayers begin. No wonder you were awestruck. I would be also. I am now!

Anonymous said...

I loved the view! What a beautiful shot. Your day 4-wheeling sounds like so much fun.
:-)